Greetings

This blog is a record of the wine that I make and drink. Each flavour made and each bottle drunk will appear here. You may come to the conclusion that, on the whole, I should be drinking less.

Monday 2 May 2011

Rhubarb - Bottle B2, 2nd May 2011

I suggested to Claire this morning that we should not have a bottle tonight. She raised an eyebrow and I capitulated. It is, after all, a Bank Holiday Monday, and I will not open another one until Thursday. But we are drinking too much.

I chose Rhubarb before I knew that I would be making this year's batch of rhubarb wine today, so perhaps it was fated. Anyway, the wine was excellent - it is a beautiful colour, with its metallic hint of pink and virtually no other hue. The taste is unusual but in an entirely good way: acidic and semi-sweet, with a hidden fruitiness. We drank it to delicious salt and pepper chicken wings with a Chinese mushroom, cabbage and kim chee (sp?) stew over noodles.

4 comments:

  1. Rhubarb wine; that's working for me! It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started making my next batch on Monday, and shall blog about it once it is in the demijohn (which is currently pencilled in for Saturday). Rhubarb wine can go either way, though I make it every year. Sometimes it tastes worryingly of Swiss Cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting blog Ben. Rest assured I shall be popping by from time to time to pick up some wine tips. Cheers James. Thanks for visiting The Sanctum of Sanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Ben! I am so glad to you found my blog and therefore I found yours. When you described the kinds of wines that you were making the first thing I thought was Rhubarb wine! It was the only wine that I have had that was a non-berry wine. And fate should have it that rhubarb wine is the latest you have posted! I had rhubarb wine at a winery that seemed to pop up in the middle of nowhere in Washington state. We were hesitent but they insisted and it was wonderful! I will have to dig out those notes.

    ReplyDelete