Greetings

This blog is a record of the wine that I make and drink. Each flavour made and each bottle drunk will appear here. You may come to the conclusion that, on the whole, I should be drinking less.

Wednesday 9 May 2012

Rhubarb Wine - Bottle B6, 5th May 2012

Over the last couple of years rhubarb wine has been consistently good. I am pleased that this is no exception. The colour is a fabulous bronze and the wine has a definite fizz. If we ever get a spell of warm weather I suspect this will cause corks to pop. Its taste is dry and light but with enough body to make it interesting. I am due to start my Rhubarb 2012 tomorrow, and on the strength of this will definitely make a double batch.

I opened the bottle shortly after a bassoon quartet rehearsal in preparation for tomorrow's wedding. Four bassoons make a fabulous sound, and when the music is well-known (Teddy Bears' Picnic, Pink Panther, Liberty Bell) it is Very Silly Indeed.

Thomas stayed over for a meal of Lentil Farmer's Pie and flap jacks. He couldn't have the rhubarb pie because the pastry was made with lard.

2 comments:

  1. Did you know that Rhubarb originates from the Ukraine and China? It's been used for medicinal purposes for thousands of years. It's leaves and the Potato and Tomato are poisonous and should never be fed to livestock.

    I used to know a an allotment holder who used to place the leaves of the Rhubarb in the holes he dug for his Cabbages. He swore it prevented Club Root in his Brassica patch.

    Is Liberty Bell the opening theme to Monty Python?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did know that, Dave - I went to a Rhubarb Farm a couple of years ago where we got a talk on the history and myths of rhubarb.

    Liberty Bell is, indeed, the opening theme to Monty Python. And sounds great played by four bassoons.

    ReplyDelete